Leaking roofs are more than just irritating. Unwanted moisture can lead to major problems with a home’s structure, such as mold or water damage. Fortunately, taking care of roof replacement is a straightforward process when you have the help of professionals.
Selecting the Right Roof for Your Home
If there’s one area where you want to invest in quality, it’s your roof. A solid roof is impervious to wind, rain, snow and ice, keeping your home’s interior in excellent condition. Besides investing in high-quality roofing materials, there are other factors to keep in mind:
- Local climate: Make sure your roof is prepared to handle everything your local weather can throw at it. If high winds, ice or hail are common, it makes sense to opt for heavier-gauge shingles that can take a beating.
- Energy efficiency: One way to cut down on your energy bill in sunny areas is to opt for white or reflective surface coatings. By reflecting sunlight, the home stays cooler and you spend less money on air conditioning each month.
- Architectural style: Certain roofing options are a natural fit for your home for aesthetic reasons. Spanish Colonial architecture wouldn’t be the same without its famous red clay tiles. Wood shakes add a warm, rustic tone to houses and last decades when properly installed and maintained.
Choosing a Professional Roofing Contractor
The other essential area for success in roof replacement is choosing an experienced, trustworthy contractor. Attempting to do this kind of job yourself rarely produces good results, since every nail and seam count for longevity. When looking for a contractor, prioritize these qualities:
- Local company
- Extensive experience
- Dedicated roofing contractor
- Website with clear information and positive customer reviews
- Reputation for excellent quality
- Licensed and insured professionals
There’s nothing wrong with comparing several estimates to make sure you get the roof you want at a good price. Just remember that a roof that lasts for 20–30 years is worth spending a little extra. Never sacrifice quality. A good roof replacement contractor will sit down with you and explain every detail, from completion dates to materials used.